Topic 2: Marketing in the News


Image result for just do it kaepernick


I was interested in the Kaepernick Just do it ad because I got to work up in Portland with some Nike employees, and they we all trying to guess what the ad would be. One of the things we constantly talk about in the workplace is how we're going to "innovate and disrupt". I was so used to seeing innovation in action, I was really craving to see some disruption. Man, did this ad disrupt. 

Colin Kaepernick was a football player for the San Francisco 49ers. He wanted to protest black oppression by kneeling during the "Star Spangled Banner". Kaepernick used to sit during, but after talking to Nate Boyer he opted to kneel to try to show respect for current and former military members. Nike's Just Do It ad started in 1998. It was a simple but aggressive slogan that has been etched into marketing history. This was the 30th anniversary for the "Just Do It" slogan, so Nike decided to take a more inspirational and political approach. 

Nike’s value proposition is focused on marketing and their company image. The company’s slogan is “Just Do It” is marketed to everyone. It doesn’t matter what kind of person you are, if you’re fit or not, they want you to “Just Do It”.  

The new “Just Do It” ad is very relevant in today’s culture. This was more than a simple 30th anniversary. Nike wanted to stand for something bigger than sporting goods. This new ad was strategic move to inspire and disrupt. One of the challenges I saw with this campaign was the backlash to Colin saying “sacrificing everything”. Most of my close friends felt that that statement was a little too far, but I think that was the point. It got people talking about the ad. I have not seen any other company stand with a controversial individual like Kaepernick in a long time. Not only did Nike try to inspire people to be something greater, they stood with Kaepernick’s cause.

If I was in charge of the campaign I would have used more controversial individuals. Personally, I think more controversy would stir the pot in Nike’s favor. I mean the ad was already successful with the inspirational people already in it. So I might have made two different ads.

https://news.nike.com/featured_video/just-do-it-dream-crazy-film
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colin_Kaepernick#U.S._national_anthem_protest
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_Do_It


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post #2: Veritas Guitars

Marketing Case Study: Kanye West